Debut title in new book series presents best practices and seasoned advice across a range of indexing project types
November 21, 2005, Medford, New Jerseyâ€”Information Today, Inc. (ITI) has announced the publication of Index It Right! Advice from the Experts, Volume 1. This premiere title in the Index It Right! series, edited by Enid L. Zafran, features expert coverage in key indexing areas. Eight chapters by Zafran and a select group of contributors offer tips and advice on indexing philosophy, theology, biographies, horticulture, art, encyclopedias, computer manuals, and Web sites. Featured contributors and chapters in Volume 1 include:
- Carol Robertsâ€””If a Tree Falls in the Forest: Indexing Philosophy Books”
- Kate Mertesâ€””The Queen of Sciences: Indexing Theology and Disciplines Related to Religion”
- Martin L. Whiteâ€””Indexing Lives”
- Marion Lerner-Levineâ€””Indexing Encyclopedias”
- Susan DeRenne Coerrâ€””Indexing Art Books and Catalogs”
- ThÃ©rÃ¨se Shere with Lina B. Burtonâ€””Real-World Considerations When Indexing Plant Names: Dealing with Text Problems and Index Restrictions”
- Beth Palmerâ€””Indexing for the Computer Industry”
- Fred Brownâ€””Web Indexes and Other Navigational Aids: Finding Information on Web Sites”
The book includes an Introduction by the editor, contributor biographies, and an index by Carrie Nearing. Future series titles will feature chapters on additional types of indexing projects selected by the editor on the basis of their timeliness and usefulness for both new and practicing indexers.
Enid L. Zafran has worked as an indexer for more than 25 years. She began her own indexing business, Indexing Partners, in 1990, and in addition to legal indexing, specializes in public policy, business, art, history, psychology, and education indexing. She has served on the Board of the American Society for Indexing (ASI) and as ASI President (2004â€“2005). She is a founding member of the Consortium of Indexing Professionals. Other ASI books she has edited include Starting an Indexing Business, Indexing Specialties: Law, and Indexing Specialties: Scholarly Books. Index It Right! Advice from the Experts, Volume 1 (168 pp/paperback/$35.00/ISBN 1-57387-237-7) is published by Information Today, Inc. (ITI) on behalf of the American Society for Indexing (ASI). For more information or to place an order, contact the publisher directly at (800) 300-9868 [outside the U.S. call (609) 654-6266]; fax (609) 654-4309; e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org; or visit the ITI Web site at www.infotoday.com.