The American Society for Indexing is seeking an editor for its quarterly journal, Key Words. Key Words is the premier resource for indexing professionals in the United States.
- Key Words is published four (4) times per year; each issue is at least 24 pages.
- The Key Words Editor must be a current member of ASI.
- The Editor will be responsible for planning the content for each issue, soliciting contributions, editing and proofreading copy, and transmitting files, which have been copy edited, in electronic format to the layout editor for production.
- The Editor will oversee the work of the layout editor, including adherence to production dates.
- The Editor will review page layout and graphic design of each issue, including photos, cover, and illustrations.
- The Editor will provide proof copy to the President of ASI for review before final publication.
- The Editor will proof final copy and provide approval prior to circulation.
- The Editor will provide coverage of the Annual Conference. The Editor will make arrangements for full coverage of conference events for publication in Key Words, including but not limited to receptions, awards reception, and business meeting(s).
- In cooperation with the editor, the staff shall create a schedule for preparation of each issue.
- The editor will use Chicago Manual of Style standards for copy and for indexing layout.
- The editor will work with an editorial board, establishing regular departments within Key Words. Other ASI members may be solicited as writers or regular contributors to these departments.
- The editor will identify and solicit cover stories on topics related to the indexing industry that are informative, enlightening, and newsworthy. The editor shall ensure all writers agree in writing to the ASI copyright policy for their submitted written works.
ASI shall reimburse the Editor for the time and operating expenses with an honorarium for the year.
The Editor shall be responsible for providing the Board of ASI with bi-annual reports of the status of Key Words for each of two Board meetings. Other reports may be requested as necessary.
In serving as editor of Key Words, the editor will adhere to professional journalistic standards. The goal of ASI is to create a publication that well represents the association in the national limelight, and the editor will work in partnership with ASI towards that goal.
In order to apply for the position, please email your letter of interest to Gwen Henson, accompanied by your current resume and statement of how you are qualified for the position and why you are interested in becoming the Key Words editor. Additionally, please send links to other publications you've edited. The application deadline is 5 pm Pacific time on January 7, 2022.
Contact ASI Office with any technical questions.